gows: (sensual)
[personal profile] gows
Anne McCaffrey has been one of my favorite authors since childhood. I stopped reading her newer work at about 1998 or so, as it seemed she was just mining a lot of her older worlds without putting much effort into the actual writing. But her earlier work could--and did--bring tears my eyes. She wrote about human, flawed women as heroes and role models, and I loved them fiercely, from Menolly to Lessa to Killashandra Ree.

Anne McCaffrey shaped science fiction and fantasy on a genre-wide scale, affecting more than gender perceptions. She was the first woman to win a Hugo, IIRC, and touched lives far and wide. She is one of the few authors I ever wished to meet in my life; I was just thinking of her a couple of nights ago. Even though I never met her in person, I was blessed to have her--and her characters--in my life. It has been the richer for it.

Date: 2011-11-23 03:50 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] tulleandtiaras.livejournal.com
I was just looking for my Harper Hall books a few weeks ago thinking India will be able to read them in a few short years. She was my gateway drug into adult sci-fi/fantasy.

Date: 2011-11-24 02:11 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] gows.livejournal.com
*grin* I hear that.

Profile

gows: (Default)
gows

April 2021

S M T W T F S
    123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
252627282930 

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Oct. 11th, 2026 02:38 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios